When is the Library Millage Renewal vote?
On August 7, 2018. The Library will ask Garden City residents to approve a renewal of our operating millage. If approved, the Library will have secure funding for an additional ten (10) years.
What is the Library asking for?
- A millage renewal of .9811 mill, not a tax increase.
What is a millage?
- A “millage” is a tax rate on the taxable value of property.
- 1 mill is equal to $1 for every $1,000 of taxable value.
What is the cost to me?
- The average homeowner pays approximately $36.50 per year.
- For an exact figure, refer to your 2017 summer tax bill.
How long will the renewed millage last?
- The millage will be levied an additional ten years, through 2031.
Why is the Library asking for renewal now?
- To keep the library operating for another 10 years.
- To improve opportunities for grants and other outside funding.
How will the ballot be worded?
The exact wording of the ballot question shall be:
CITY OF GARDEN CITY
LIBRARY MILLAGE RENEWAL PROPOSAL
This proposal will allow the library to continue to levy the 1.0 mill previously approved by electors (as reduced by the Headlee Amendment) to fund operations and equipping of the library through 2031, the previous authorization will otherwise expire with the 2021 levy.
As a renewal of the 1.00 mill previously authorized by the electors as reduced by operation of the Headlee Amendment, shall a renewal of the previously approved increase to the limitation on the amount of taxes which may be imposed on taxable property in the City of Garden City, Wayne County, Michigan, be adopted in the amount of 0.9811 mill ($0.9811 per thousand dollars of taxable value) for a period of ten (10) years, 2022 to 2031, inclusive, for the exclusive purpose of providing funds for the operation and/or equipping of a City of Garden City Public Library and for all other library purposes authorized by law?
It is estimated that 0.9811 mill would raise approximately $ 506,577.33 when first levied in 2022.
Sample ballots will be available at City Hall.
How is the Library funded?
- Property taxes (89%).
- Court penal fines (4%).
- State aid (3%).
- Fines/printing (3%).
What happens if the renewal does not pass?
- With no Operating Budget, the Library will cease to operate, and Garden City citizens will not have access to any public library.
What will the Operating Millage be used for?
- All expenses associated with running the Library: rent, books, staff, internet, materials, cooperative membership (TLN)…