Welcome to Garden City Public Library’s 1,000 Books before Kindergarten Program! Libraries all across the country have started this program to help encourage families to start reading with their young children before they even start school! 1,000 books might seem like a lot, but it is actually an attainable goal. These books can be any length and if you read the same book 5 days in a row, that counts as 5 separate books! To reach 1,000 books, you and your child can read:
- 3 books a day to finish the program in 1 year
- 10 books a week to finish in 2 years
- 1 book a day to finish in 3 years
Reading with your child will have life long benefits! Studies show that reading early and often with your child helps develop a love of reading, an increased vocabulary, a child’s readiness for school, and a bond with their family members! Getting started is easy, all you need to do is:
- Stop by the Garden City Public Library to pick up your reading log*
- Record what your child reads!
- Bring your filled out log back to the Library to get your prize and next reading log
- When you’ve finished all 1,000 books, come back for a free prize, book, and a special place on our Super Reader wall!
*Reading logs can also be printed out using the links below.
Reading Log 1 (Books 1-100)
Reading Log 2 (Books 101-200)
Reading Log 3 (Books 201-300)
Reading Log 4 (Books 301-400)
Reading Log 5 (Books 401-500)
Reading Log 6 (Books 501-600)
Reading Log 7 (Books 601-700)
Reading Log 8 (Books 701-800)
Reading Log 9 (Books 801-900)
Reading Log 10 (Books 901-1000)